Cerebral palsy denotes to a group of neurological disorders that appear in infancy or childhood and forever affect body movement and muscle co-ordination.
- Absence of muscle coordination when carrying out voluntary movements
- Stiff or tight muscles and exaggerated reflexes (spasticity)
- Walking with one foot or leg dragging
- Walking on the toes, a crouched gait, or a ‘scissored ‘ gait
- Muscle tone that is either too stiff or too floppy.
Cerebral palsy is typically due to brain damage in the first few months or years of life, brain infections such as bacterial meningitis or viral encephalitis, or head injury.
Ayurveda has presented very good effects in patients of Cerebral palsy. Although cerebral palsy may not be entirely cured, Ayurvedic treatment can certainly aid to lessen disability and increase the functioning of the affected individual to a great extent. Ayurvedic treatment of cerebral palsy stresses on treating the symptoms and improves the quality of living of the patient.
Medicines which aid in improving the functional capacity of the brain and may likewise aid in improving brain function cells are:
- Suvarna prashan
Several of these medicines, are likewise suitable in preventing or reducing convulsions.
Medicines which aid in the formation of the muscles and tissues is:
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
Medicines used to increase nerve conduction and muscular coordination is:
Panchkarma treatments which are beneficial in this condition are:
- Abhyangam: Massage of the whole body with medicated oils like Maha-Narayan Oil, Maha-Mash-oil and Maha-Saindhav-oil is very advantageous.
- Pinda sweda