It is defined as paralysis of one side of the body. This condition arises owing to
- Temporary ischemic attack
- Cerebrovascular accident (Stroke)
- Head trauma
The common symptoms comprise
- Unexpected weakness and loss of function of hands , legs or both
- Trouble walking, holding, or grasping
- Increased muscle spasm and stiffness
- Delay in developmental highlights for children like standing, sitting and walking
- In certain conditions, difficulty in speech
Ayurveda and Hemiplegia
According to Ayurveda, this condition is named as Pakshaghatha, which means, loss of ability of one side of the body. It’s said that this condition will happen due to disruption in the vata dosha which controls the motor and sensory activities of the body.
In Ayurveda, these disorders are cured by the right balancing of three doshas (vata, pitta, kapha) and panchabhootha (5 rudimentary elements).
The crucial line of treatment will be to bring back the motor and sensory functions of the brain. The internal medicine boosts the blood supply. Natural antioxidants increase the oxygenation to the brain and decreases cell death.
The external therapy advances the peripheral nervous system and circulation. The heat modalities maintain the muscle tone and reduce spasms.
The internal medication includes special decoctions, tablets, powder medication, fermented medicines, and medicated ghee.
External Treatment Modalities – Thala, Nasya, Sirodhara, Ksheeradhara, Pichu, Sirovasti, Ksheeradhooma, Lepana, Medhya Rasayanas etc.